Would you like to make your cakes with honey? It’s a more natural, beneficial and nutritious sweetener than sugar. Let’s try, there are just three simple rules to follow.
Cook with honey….. I‘ d never thought to use this precious food instead of sugar, since my family has a honey maker! Then I’ve changed my habits. The first jar brought at home. The pleasure of eating honey from our bees. Little fingers dipped in the jar. Sticky fingerprints on the glass…
Besides just being good, honey is full in ownership: it’s less caloric than the sugar, it is more energetic and it has precious emollients and depurative qualities. Are these reason enough?
All we have to do is follow three simple rules:
- Which variety to choose? The flavor of honey depends on the type of flower the bees worked to produce the honey. Multiflower or Acacia are the best, otherwise the flavor honey aroma will be too much present in your cake.
- My Honey Hardened: What to Do? It’s easy to re-liquefy crystallized honey by removing the container’s lid, and heating it in very hot water.
- How much Honey? Because honey is technically sweeter than sugar, less is needed to achieve the same results. A very general rule of thumb for replacing sugar with honey is to decrease the honey by half. If your recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar, try it with 1/2 cup of honey.
Apple cake with honey an extra virgin olive oil
Today I’m going to share the apple cake, one of my favourite dessert. It’s an autumn cake, and the flavour of lemon remind me the one that my grandmother was used to bake for Sunday lunch. Memories of a sweet past. Now I’m going to share it with you.
- 300 gr flour 00
- 100 gr of cornflour
- 4 eggs
- 120 gr honey multiflower
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 glass of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 glass of milk
- 4 apples. Any kind of apples can be used for this recipe
- 1 little envelope of yeast for sweets
- the bark of a biological lemon
How to do:
Peel the apples, cut them in half and remove the cores. Cut the apples into 1 – to 2-inch chunks.
In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with honey and the salt until they’re foamy. Whisk in the flour and when it is incorporated, add half the milk followed by the oil, the lemon, and the yeast mixing gently after each addition so that you have a smooth, rather thick batter. Switch to a rubber spatula and fold in the apples, turning the fruit so that it’s coated with batter. Scrape the mix into the pan and poke it around a little with the spatula so that it’s evenish.
Slide the pan into the oven and bake for 40 minutes at 180 degree, until the top of the cake is golden brown and a knife inserted deep into the center comes out clean; the cake may pull away from the sides of the pan. Transfer to a cooling rack and let rest for 5 minutes.
Now your Apple cake with honey and extra virgin olive oil is ready…..Taste the pie slow!